Peeled rye flour is one of the three main types of rye flour. It is the peeled variety, thanks to its rich composition, that is most useful and in demand. Peeled flour preserves almost all the numerous medicinal substances that are contained in rye, because almost 90% of this variety consists of cells surrounding the grain embryo (endosperm or powdery nucleus). And only the remaining 10% are the outer shells of the grain, the so-called peripheral grain.
Peeled rye flour is grayish white or light cream because of the grain shell of a greenish color. This type of rye flour contains a smaller percentage of rye shells in contrast to the wallpaper variety, which is produced by grinding whole rye grains. The main part of the outer shells is stripped from the grains before production, so the name of the variety has the word "stripped".